The book Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition consists of nine chapters, each of which are interconnected.
Michael Stelzner in his book describes in detail the Elevation Principle.
The Elevation Principle, according to the author, is a way to develop business by attracting the attention of the audience with the help of valuable information, working with outside experts and reducing advertisements. The main goal of such marketing policy is to gain confidence in your company from prospects.
Michael Stelzner derives the Elevation Principle formula:
GC (Great Content) + OP (Other People) - MM (Marketing Messages) = G (Growth)
The first component of the Elevation Principle formula is Great Content.
Michael Stelzner throughout the book uses a metaphor that he calls business a rocket and content is the fuel that helps the business grow.
Based on this he divides all content into two types:
Primary fuel – a type of content that allows you to constantly maintain the interest of the audience to your company.
The author identifies six types of primary fuel. Michael Stelzner considers these types to be the most effective, but not the only ones.
- Comprehensive How-to Articles. The content should be based on an article explaining to readers how to overcome the difficulties they faced. The structure of the articles-guides: introduction, problems, detailed recommendations. Content should be enhanced with illustrations.
- Expert interviews. Text interviews, audio interviewas, video interviews. Mixed type of interviews. Some tips for the interview: explain to the expert for what target audience the interview is recorded; specify the format of the interview in advance; coordinate the questions; have a casual conversation; after the interview, let them know where and when it will be published.
- Reviews. The review can be done in a variety of formats: in the form of an article, a video or combine both formats. Tips for creating reviews – be honest; use illustrations; add details; use a rating scale.
- Case studies. Case studies are a detailed study of the experience of successful companies or individuals. They describe the challenges faced by the companies, the sequence of steps taken and the results. Scheme for writing a case: difficulties, decisions, results, quotes, lessons learned.
- News stories. The publication of fresh news will provide a large influx of visitors to your site, but it is worth noting that news coverage can be very difficult, as the news becomes obsolete immediately at the time of publication. You will constantly strive to overtake everyone.
- Contrarian stories. Contrarian stories are written according to the same scheme as comprehensive How-to Articles. The main difference between them is that you act in the role of opposition or seem so to the reader at first glance.
Nuclear fuel – a type of content that makes you pay attention to your company to an additional audience.
4 types of nuclear fuel, which the author uses in his work:
- Reports based on surveys. By releasing free reports on the results of serious public opinion research, you can achieve amazing results. Survey structure: conduct research; find survey participants; analyze the results; make a report; publish and start advertising.
- White papers. White papers are similar to How-to Articles, these are the documents that help people to solve specific issues. They are sometimes called instructions, free reports or e-books. White papers structure: trends; problems; story; solutions; benefits.
- Top 10 contests. Competitions are a unique form of nuclear fuel – they are interactive.
The structure of the competition:
the first stage – nominations proposed by users;
the second stage – determination of finalists;
the third stage – a selection of winners.
- Micro-events. Micro-events are free events that usually take place online and last about an hour. These are webinars, events on social networks, etc. The structure of micro-events: find an expert; advertise your event; prepare questions in advance.
If primary content gives readers a reason to come back to you again and again, then the goal of nuclear fuel is to attract the attention of as many people as possible.
The second component of the Elevation Principle formula is Other People.
Other people are people who can contribute to the development of your business. This is the client base, outside experts, star personalities.
The author gives the most important advice in working with people – not to use explicit advertising. If companies put ads in the background, they will help their products become fully acceptable and valuable in the eyes of customers.
Don’t get tired of studying your readers. This will allow you to better understand their needs and create content that will find the strongest response from them.
Working with outside specialists is one of the least common but at the same time the most effective methods of company development. Experts are the people your readers turn to when they need advice or clarification. They are trusted because of their rich experience, skills, and knowledge.
Stars, star personalities – these are outstanding specialists in your industry, around whom there is a huge community of interested people. All stars are experts, but not all experts are stars.
The third component of the Elevation Principle formula is the marketing message.
It means holding back your advertising. If you manage to protect your content from advertising, you will achieve incredible success.
If you cannot do without advertising, the author advises doing content promotion and expansion of secondary marketing channels, using the principle of high-speed launch.
The high-speed launch is a way of sales by promoting valuable content, not goods and services. Diluting your content with small advertising inclusions, you can avoid a feeling of irritation among your prospects.
All the ideas and principles outlined in this book, Michael Stelzner developed himself. By trial and error, he improved them and tested them on his own experience.
Book by Michael Stelzner is very useful, written in an interesting and easy to read way. The book will be relevant for marketers and content managers, professionals working with social media and for all those who want to master the tools of content marketing.
Do it! Marketing will be a great addition to this book by Michael Stelzner.